CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 13, 2009

Recipe to share

Here's a great recipe I tried last week. I've been given lots of fresh blueberries. So, I've found several recipes I'd like to try and will be posting more this week. This one is a Cooking Light recipe from my friend & coworker, Tessie. Thanks, Tessie!

Blueberry Streusel Cake

1 1/2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vanilla wafer crumbs (about 8 cookies)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 TB margarine, melted
1 teaspoon hot water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 TB vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg white
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine blueberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl; gently mash with a potato masher until blueberries are crushed. Let stand 5 minutes. Set aside.

Combine wafer crumbs, brown sugar, margarine, and hot water; stir until well-blended. Set aside.

Combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine yogurt, oil, vanilla, egg, and egg white; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring until well blended. Fold in the blueberry mixture. Pour batter into a 9" round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the cake; bake an additional 10 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.

**Notes: Taylor really enjoyed helping to mash the blueberries with the sugar! :) Also, I used a pie plate since I don't own a cake pan! And, I had to sub applesauce for the 3 T vegetable oil that it calls for. I wouldn't recommend that. I don't think it affected the taste too much, but the texture would have been a bit better if I had vegetable oil.

I hope you'll try this and let me know what you think! We served it while it was still warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!


1 comments:

Jamie said...

Loved catching up on your blog. All those blueberry recipes sound yummy! Hope your week is off to a great start!